What is a Friend?

Dedicated to 2F 2009 - May all of you remain friends forever! This film by Tony Dusko won "Best of Festival" in the 2007 Mobifest Toronto Film Festival. (Source : www.notebookbabies.com)

Sunday, May 31, 2009

The More We Get Together (Recess Program)

The last day of term 3 also happened to be the last Friday of the month of May. For the second time, we had the recess program of eating together.

This time, 2F had Aaron's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lum, together with his younger brother, join us. They were our invited guests but instead of being served drinks and rempeyek (the featured snack of the month), they lavished snacks and drinks on the children. What impressed me even more was the personal touch...Mrs. Lum remembered details about some of the children and offered snacks that were suitable for them.

We had our recess at the meeting-point because the long-awaited 2E vs 2F captain's ball match was scheduled for that recess. The class was all geared up to cheer and they were ready to cheer their lungs out with a VERY LONG homemade (classmade) banner, all of these, student-initiated.

Teacher : Why is the banner so long?
Zariel : To be held up by every member of the class who is not playing.

The class in-house champion team; the YELLOW HOUSE players, had also donned their PE attire, no reminder needed from the teacher, mind you. (I wish this would apply to all classwork) Alas, our worthy opponents were not available for the friendly match that day and Ms Nabilah decreed a postponement. Personally, I thought it should have been a walk-over (I just taught the class that word) but of course, we wanted all the fun and honour of winning the game!

As the class teacher, I was heartened to see the vibrant class spirit and the initiative and leadership that went into the making of the banner! When I had a good look at Anna after recess, I realised she even had her face painted partly yellow, not with face paint, but her trusty yellow highlighter. Whatever will the class do next, I wonder...