What is a Friend?

Dedicated to 2F 2009 - May all of you remain friends forever! This film by Tony Dusko won "Best of Festival" in the 2007 Mobifest Toronto Film Festival. (Source : www.notebookbabies.com)

Monday, July 20, 2009

Learning about Mollusks...

To extend the children's knowledge of the more unusual creatures that lurk in the deep seas as well as the elusive organisms that inhabit the inter-tidal zones of the beach, I marched into the library during the weekend to borrow some kid-friendly books on mollusks.
I read a book on mollusks to the class, introducing this wide-ranging and diversified group of soft bodied invertebrates. Then I asked for them to move into their interest groups to do an independent writing on this topic of 'Life in a Shell'. Some chose barnacles, others, hermit crabs, lobsters, chitons and even conches.
They read so independently in their groups and were so absorbed in their writing that I could happily snap pictures for your viewing pleasure.
Learning in progress...
The children are reading together...
This group is truly poring over the photographs and the new information found in the book.
Later, some groups chose to do their independent writing around the book...
right there, on the floor,
some chose to move back to the tables...
in smaller groups, or pairs...
even individually, for those who have 'digested' the information from the books.


It was great fun for the children!